3 Easy Freeride Tricks on Skis | Powerslide, Drop & Butter
What you will Learn in this Tutorial
This video provides a tutorial on three easy freeride tricks on skis: powerslides, drops, and butters. Jens demonstrates each trick and provides tips and techniques for executing them successfully. Powerslides involve twisting the skis 90 degrees across the fall line and holding the position while side-slipping in powder. Dropping is performed by mastering proper jumping techniques and gradually progressing to steeper drops. Butters can be done by either doing a quick 180-degree rotation and leaning onto the noses of the skis or by keeping the tails off the snow for the majority of a 360-degree rotation.
- The video teaches three fun freeride tricks: powerslides, drops, and butters.
- Powerslides involve twisting the skis 90 degrees and side-slipping in powder.
- Powerslides are inspired by skiers like Shane McConkey and provide a unique way to enjoy the spray in powder.
- Dropping is a more advanced trick that requires proper jumping technique and landing perpendicular to the slope.
- The video provides tips on how to progress from smaller jumps in the park to steeper drops in the backcountry.
- Drops should be done with caution and on slopes with a landing angle that matches the skier’s age in degrees.
- Butters can be done by leaning onto the noses of the skis or by keeping the tails off the snow during a 360-degree rotation.
- Steeper slopes make buttering easier but scarier, while flatter slopes require more effort.
- The video offers equipment recommendations, such as using a relatively stiff ski and mounting freestyle powder skis further forward for easier buttering.